Tuesday, September 25, 2012

First day of School, a little late!

First day of school!! That is right we have a kinder and a 1st grader!

The first grader. Well, did not want to go to school, I think he was a little nervous. I asked him once he said no, so I let it go..but I did hype 1st grade up as much as one possibly can without being a crazy momma. He had his school stuff, a new outfit, a yummy lunch made, his tummy was full from breakfast and off he went! Our first grader that did not have a problem getting up early (he already gets up at dawn) and even though he was quite he had that huge smile on his face and kisses to give to mom, dad, and his sisters! The first few weeks that followed were tough for him. Not wanting to go to school, saying it is too long, and that he did not want to walk there (we live .2 miles away). I kept saying to Derek and myself, "at least he is not saying he does not like school." If he did not like it then there would be an entirely different way I would have to change my approach, but I just let him work through the long days and get us to walking .2 miles twice a day. Now he is just fine.




The kindergartner! A few weeks before Em started school we were really trying to get her excited for school, it did not seem to be working. Example, the kinder meet & greet at the park which was a cry fest for her. But on the big day she was ready to rock & roll and could barely contain her smiles. All of the days since she just waves and runs to her spot on the line. She can not get enough! We have noticed her love of telling us about the play kitchen in the classroom, playing the role of mommy, and lack of moving her 'clip up' to reward her positive behavior. Yes, a lack! Drew had so many days he moved his 'clip up' and I really did not know what was going on with her. When I asked her teacher after a week of noticing I got this very 'kinder' answer from her, "well, Emma does have her own personality." Such a sweet way to say she is not listening! She is sweet, but really likes to 'help' kids even when she should just let them be. Something we are working on:)






Then off to yogurt after school with the Maloofs. Last year we went to lunch, so why not keep the yearly outing on the first day of school up!






Now what about daddy and momma?
Daddy.
Well, Derek was happy they were having such a great first day and since then has been very good about, well, everything. He even went to two sessions at back to school night last week. I was a mess three days last week with fevers and sleeping, so without him and my neighbor I do not know how I would have gotten them to school, fed them or be the parents Derek and I want to be with our kiddos. Not only was Derek happy about the excitement of the kids and helping me out, but LOVES the NEW SARA. He is a stinker. I am not a morning person and got lucky last year when Drew was placed as a late bird for school (school starts at 9:30), so getting up at 6:45am is a TOUGH thing for me! REALLY REALLY TOUGH! I swear in a way he was more excited to have me wake up early (maybe seeing the daily struggle, which is kind of messed up!:)) than watching his children start this new school year.

Momma.

Yes, I am not a morning person. I like to do laundry at night, drink a glass of wine while reading a book, blog, etc. It is the only time I have to myself. There are also many nights that I can not sleep more than 3 hours the entire night. I hate those nights and have had a few since school started. How much fun is it to get a few hours of sleep then get kids ready for school, make lunches, walk nearly 2 miles to and back from school a day (that is right I walk to school 4 times and walk back 4 times a day, trying to look at the positive of exercising), not have enough time for a nap then go to dance and baseball, cook dinner and all of the other stuff I need to get done? On a scale from 1-10 I am going to give it a 0! I am a walking zombie and not in a good mood. For some reason Derek finds it funny that I am not a morning person. Whatever. I have been getting better and so far they have only been late twice each. Is that okay for the first 4 weeks of school? haha. As long as I do not lay down I am good. Now I just walk them to school, then Lilly and I head for a walk/run and I drink nearly a pot of coffee and go to bed by 9:30 most nights. Yes, Derek this NEW Sara that you love to laugh at so much is exhausted and now you stay up later than her! **I stop drinking coffee at 3pm**

No comments: